The first known settlement in Meres belongs to the circular defence tower (XIII-VIV cent) which was destroyed under the orders of the Catholic Monarchs. Currently we can only see its remains in the rear part of the remains.
The first construction of the Palace of Meres dates back to the first half of the XV century, but it isn't until the end of the XVI century that it is rebuilt and extended; there is evidence of this fact as during one of the roof restorations, one of the House's coats of arms was discovered with the statement: "rebuilt in 1590".
Pedro Argüelles, also known as “el Negro” was the first lord of the House of Meres and its jurisdiction, Councillor of Oviedo, Siero and the seaports of the Principality. Because of this position, he received a letter from Emperor Charles I of Spain and V of Germany to alert him of a possible coastal invasion. (Archivo de la Casa de Meres).
The House of Meres owned the Coto de la Paranza (la Paranza property), where there was a leper colony in his jurisdiction. (XVI - XIX cent.)
The man who ordered the extension to the Chapel of Santa Ana was, in the XVII century, Antonio Argüelles Quiñones y Valdés, Marquis of la Paranza y Viscount of las Arenas. Drawn in the Salón Nuevo (New room).
The Palace currently belongs to the children of Laína Uría Ríu and Joaquín Cores Masaveu, direct descendents of the previous owners, and they were the fourteenth generation and that which hopes, with the high amount of restoration work carried out each year, to restore the Palace to its former splendour.
To get to know the history of the Chapel of Meres there are three phases on which we must focus our attention: The first XV cent. Hermitage dedicated to Santa Ana, of which only the main sculpture remains, is currently in the upper part of the central altarpiece. The second, dating back to 1585, a century later, when Pedro Argüelles Carrio or “El Mozo” increased the family estate and transformed the old hermitage dedicated to Santa Ana.
From that time, ecclesiastical authorisation to celebrate religious acts on feast days in the new building was given, just like the offshot of the Parish in Tiñana, and it continues to be celebrated nowadays. And the third and current phase - it is extended again in the XVII century under the order of Antonio Argüelles Valdés. In 1707 the abbot of Arbás, Francisco Argüelles, brother of the Marquis, blessed the new temple which was dedicated to Our Lady of Amparo (sculpture inside the Central Niche). From then until present day, the Palace holds its festival on the 15 August each year and it's a great excuse for the family and town to meet.